From: Sebastian Redl (sebastian.redl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-20 12:02:57

Gennadiy Rozental wrote:

>The same woth PO. PO doesn't deal with config file generation but that (as I
>mention in my review) is completely unnessesary anyway. Why and how
>frequently would I want to generate my config files programmatically?

Every program that allows configuration via a GUI or even an in-program
CLI will want to persist the configuration changes. Examples? Take any
program at all that is not meant to run once, do a job, and exit (as
compilers do), but instead runs for some time. Any web browser, email
client, word processor, whatever. They all allow configuration at
runtime and thus need to persist the configuration into permanent
storage. Rare exceptions here are servers: Apache, Xorg Server (though
that's not a virtue for the XServer). And even the X server has many
tools that generate configuration. Even the Linux kernel has programs
that generate config files!

Sebastian Redl