From: Marcin Kalicinski (kalita_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-21 17:43:53

>> The biggest virtue of property_tree is easy to use interface. If we try
>> to make generic tree of it, it will be compromised. This should not
>> happen, because people will then prefer to use Expat or MSXML instead.
>
> Could you clarify (with details) how is it easier then alternatives?

I assume that by alternatives you mean above mentioned Expat and MSXML?

First, property_tree supports more formats, not just XML. Second, it
presents unified interface to access data regardless of format. Third, to
get a value from XML file (or any other supported format) you literally need
_three_ lines of code (not counting one #include). That would be much more
is case of any alternative I know of. Fourth, you do not have to link to
over 1 MB DLL (in case of MSXML), just to read from you XML config file that
startup GUI window position is (200, 200).

I believe this is enough to consider the library as having some viable uses?

Best regards,
Marcin