From: Eugene Talagrand (boostdevel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-23 11:01:10

On 4/22/2006 3:55, Ivan Vecerina wrote:
> At least when
> no dynamic typing is involved (e.g. an in-line field of an enclosing
> class), I would have hoped that no additional type and version
> tags would be needed.
> There sure are good reasons for that in s11n, but it does make
> the mechanism less suitable for human-editable data files.
> And probably also for XML support in general.
> I suspect also that the file-read system in s11n is sensitive
> to the order in which the fields are created.

Just a note, type tracking can be disabled in the case you described and
version tags can be disabled in general.
In this case, hand-editing becomes feasible: boost::serialization XML
archives are what I currently use for config files, though my needs may
be more limited than most.
You're right that the order of fields matters in boost::serialization,
but the order of tags does matter in XML in general.