From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-24 02:25:26

Marcin Kalicinski wrote:

>> I mean that only one property (which of course could contain others)
>> could be loaded (or saved) at a time. Not the whole tree. For instance,
>> if my tree
>> corresponds to a windows registry key, it is desirable to load or save a
>> single value without loading or saving all the values in the key.
>
> I think this is rather simple, there are no special docs needed to cover
> that:
>
> ptree pt;
> write_registry(..., pt.get_child("whatever.child.you.want"));

That's not an interface *I* want to use for any configuration storage. I
want this:

   whatever_class settings;
   settings["whatever.you.name.it"] = QPoint(10, 10);

and then I don't want to invoke 'write_registry' or 'write_ldap' or
'write_ini' depending on configuration method that some other kind of
program has choosen. I want setting to be saved behing the back.

Speaking again about program_options and property_tree interaction: if this
is ever to work, I want property_tree to expose some "changed" events, like
W3W DOM has, that I can catch to sync data back to storage. Without that,
smooth configuration saving will be impossible.

- Volodya