From: Pavel Vozenilek (pavel_vozenilek_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-26 13:16:08

"Jody Hagins" wrote:

>> As comments and whitespace are metadata
>> the application should not have any access to them.
>> They should NOT be editable (by the application).
>

> I think comments *should* be available to an application, especially an
> application that will change or add fields to the configuration file...
> it would be nice to add some comments to describe the field and have
> them look like native comments for whichever file format is being
> used...

It /may/ be useful to add comment to newly
created item.

Creating change-log, hmm, this can generate
a lot of useless fluff unless lot of care is taken.

Interpreting the metadata by app could result
in making sense out those funny commented out
values or of empty space used to prettify the config file.
IMO most would prefere specialized formatting
for such comments, rather than trying to
process free style metadata.

One of aims should be to minimize number
of changes in config file as they are treated
by CVS or other tool. I am not aware of any
open source library having such feature.

/Pavel