From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-29 18:35:42

Ion Gaztañaga wrote:
> Thorsten Ottosen(e)k dio:
>> Ion Gaztañaga wrote:

>>> The bad
>>> news is that Shmem flat_xxx containers are not documented, but it's not
>>> difficult to do it since they have the same interface as std::map/set
>>> family. The hard part is the portability to non-conforming compilers
>>> like VC6, but I think there are utilities in Boost to workaround these
>>> problems.
>> It's not good use of student time to do porting work. People need to
>> move away from ancient compilers.
>
> I agree.

And more than that, by the time interprocess is included I think we will
be dropping support for VC6 as an overall 'Boost policy'. And even now
it's your option not to support non-compliant compilers for your
library. My view is that for new libraries, if someone is really
motivated to have your library, they can help put in the labor to help
port it to a brain-dead compiler.

Jeff