From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-30 20:48:00

"Mateusz Rukowicz" <mateusz.rukowicz_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I would like to participate in summer of code 2006. I was very surprised
> that boost doesn't have multi precision arithmetic, and since I'm quite
> algorithm/C++ concerned, I wish to propose/make it as a SoC project.
> I'll appreciate any response about that idea, what do you feel about
> that etc.

At the Berlin C++ committee meeting earlier this month the LWG decided
expressed interest in getting a further proposal for infinite precision
arithmetic for TR2 based on
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2004/n1718.pdf

Maarten Kronenburg is now working on putting together a further proposal for
the standards committee. I asked him a few days ago if he was interested in
submitting his reference implementation to Boost, and he replied that his
underlying computational functions are written in X86 assembler.

Thus for Boost a portable C++ implementation would be needed, switching over
to the assembler version for supported platforms. You might want to email
Maarten to see if he would like help with a portable C++ version and with
getting a proposal ready for Boost submission.

--Beman