From: Stefan Slapeta (stefan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-05-01 07:31:03

John Maddock wrote:

> A big int should be too hard, an arbitary precision floating point arithmetc
> type would be very welcome too. That's harder as it needs std lib support
> to be useful (exp, pow, log trig functions etc), so it's rather more work,
> but then again the student has all summer right ? :-)

IMO a big int would be the most welcome as it would provide the _base_
for an arbitrary-length floating point type.

> Very fabuluous indeed, but have you read the spec? It make me quiver just
> to think about it! Maybe as in all things familiarity would simplify things
> somewhat.

I don't think so. Integer arithmetics is a well-described field and
there is a lot of good material about it, all well listed under
http://www2.hursley.ibm.com/decimal. It's not necessary to provide a
full-optimized implementation with fourier transformations for
multiplication etc. - this can be added later as well.
A type that does the basic operations and maybe some of exp/pow/log
would be very helpful, too, to start with!

I'm rather afraid that the design of such a type could become quite
complex, as you have to provide a good separation of interface and
actual calculation: this is the only possibility to use the same one
later for n1977 as well - but this is also a great chance!

Stefan