From: Caleb Epstein (caleb.epstein_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-05-02 12:37:15

On 5/2/06, Oleg Abrosimov <beholder_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> now consider the code snippet again:
> double d = 2 + (double)from_string("1");
>
> 1) is it hard to understand what is going on here? from first glance?
> after explanation?
> 2) ???
> 3) is it hard to find such constructs in code?
> {grep from_string} would help.
> 4) C-style casts won't disappear in any observable time because of
> interoperability with C.

Mightn't this be better-spelled as:

double d = 2 + from_string<double> ("1");

This is exactly as many characters as the C-style cast version, but
much more in keeping with modern C++ style (IMHO of course).

Is your idea that from_string would return a proxy object that
supports e.g. operator double(), operator int(), etc? I think a
templated function would be simpler and perhaps more optimal, and
provide more opportunity for user-defined conversions.

--
Caleb Epstein
caleb dot epstein at gmail dot com