From: Ion Gaztañaga (igaztanaga_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-05-03 12:40:28

Hi to all,

  In recent "Report from Berlin C++ Standards Committee meeting" thread,
I asked about N1883 status and Beman personally proposed implementing a
thread launching interface above Boost.Threads to test it and propose it
for TR2.

  I've been working lately on this and the result is the "thread_new"
library. It implements the N1883 thread launching interface and also
proposes some issues to improve that proposal. The library
(thread_new.1.1.zip ) is Boost Vault Concurrency folder:

http://boost-consulting.com/vault/index.php?&direction=0&order=&directory=Concurrent%20Programming

The online documentation is here:

http://ice.prohosting.com/newfunk/boost/libs/thread_new/

The library is a single header file that uses Boost.Threads to implement
the "future" based thread launching interface. The implementation is not
optimal, but I wanted to achieve portability.

I (and others) prefer this thread-launching interface than
Boost.Thread's current approach. I would want to see what Boosters think
so that there is a feedback about the interface and we can propose it
for TR2. The interface has also a common ground with asynchronous
programming, and this possibility is commented in the documentation. If
you are interested in threads and C++, your opinion is welcome!

Regards,

Ion