From: Roland Schwarz (roland.schwarz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-05-05 04:36:58

AlisdairM wrote:
> It has been agreed that several platforms will be deprecated in this
> version of Boost. To support that I have added a warning to the
> Borland config to alert anyone using old versions of this platform that
> it is being deprecated and this is the last compatible release.
>
> What I notice is the warning gets annoying pretty quickly.

While I think deprecation announcement is useful in general, current
practice possibly is too restricting. What I would rather like too see
is a library component specific deprecation.

Why should e.g. support for threading lib for an old compiler where it
was known good be deprecated? In my opinion the respective library
maintainer should be in charge of warning the user that the library is
evolving into a direction where support of a specific compiler will be
dropped in a future release. Doing this at a global scope does not allow
this.

What do you think?

Roland