From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-05-05 10:38:56

Personally, I think the whole concept of "deprecation" is dead end.

Any library author has the authority to decide which platforms he
will support. Boost only requires that code be conformant with
the C++ standard. Its not something that requires or even permits
a communal decision.

Given this, along with the fact that library authors actually do
have varying support for different compilers make the whole
discussion irrelevant.

Example, the serialization library compiles and passes almost all
test with bcb 5.51. Who is to tell me that it should or should not
do that.

Now the new boost.test library will no longer support this platform.
Hence I have two choices stop testing with bcb 5.51 or avoid
usage of boost test. This is a decision I'll have to make on my own.

Regardless of the course of discussion, concensus, etc regarding
which compilers should be or not be supported, the above
will remain true, until boost adopts a policy prohibiting
code consistent with "non-conformant" compilers - which I don't
see as ever happening.

Robert Ramey