From: Christopher Kohlhoff (chris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-05-08 08:40:50

Hi Peter,

Peter Dimov <pdimov_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Christopher Kohlhoff wrote:
> > It's on my to-do list to implement true asynchronous connect
> > using ConnectEx (on Windows XP, Window Server 2003 and
> > later). When I find some time to do this, I will be able to
> > eliminate this select_reactor use and the associated socket.
>
> Probably a stupid question, but why not use
> WSAAsyncSelect/WSAEventSelect?

The WSAAsyncSelect function is part of the old Windows 3.1
socket interface and uses window messages for notification. I
don't really want to go there :)

I could use WSAEventSelect in conjunction with
WaitForMultipleObjects. It does have a 64 handle limit, whereas
select doesn't (FD_SETSIZE defaults to 64 but can be redefined),
but that may not be a problem in practice.

However, the main reason I'm using the select_reactor on Windows
over a WFMO reactor is that it reuses code. And since ConnectEx
is available on Windows XP, 2003, and all new versions moving
forward, there doesn't seem so much reason to develop a WFMO
reactor at this time.

Cheers,
Chris