From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-05-09 09:57:24

"Ames Andreas" <Andreas.Ames_at_[hidden]> writes:

>> fluidity
>>
>> "frozen" == Only bugfixes, in principle. A library can move out
>> of "frozen" to stable at the whim of its maintainer.
>>
>> "stable" == Only bugfixes and extensions.
>>
>> "active" == backwards-incompatible changes avoided with extreme
>> prejudice, and made only after one release of deprecation. A
>> strong bias is given towards preserving availability of old
>> interfaces under the same name, even if they've been superceded by
>> newer ones.
>>
>> "fluid" == whether we should have such a category is open to
>> debate.
>
> Sounds like a lot of work for the maintainers and the release
> managers.

I can't imagine why that would cause any work for release managers,
and speaking personally, I wouldn't find classifying the fluidity of
my libraries to be much of a hassle; it shouldn't take more than a few
minutes. Changes in fluidity happen rarely, and frankly, I think
choosing and publicizing categories would help me focus my maintenance
decisions.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting