From: Stefan Slapeta (stefan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-05-09 14:32:46

Tobias Schwinger wrote:
> Gerhard Wesp wrote:
>> Whoever thinks about arbitrary precision arithmetic, please take a look
>> at M.J. Kronenburg's proposal for TR2, which has been briefly discussed
>> at the last WG21 meeting:
>>
>> http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2004/n1692.pdf
>>

> Read it already. I also agree that it seems the most appropriate paper to influence the SoC work.

Yes and no. There are so many aspects in the implementation (some of
them I mentioned in earlier) that make any approach completely useless
if they're not considered and thought about very deeply. And: I'm afraid
that are very complicated things.

Sorry to say that, but creating 'something' that is influenced a WG21
proposal by isn't the right way here, it's *really* just waste of time!

As I tried to explain before, the only useful thing to do in this field
I can imagine is an arbitrary length integer implementation that can
later be used to implement a decimal class. I promise, it will be
complex enough to encapsulate the integer encoding for all platforms,
and once when such aspects are resolved, any other work is welcome, too!

Stefan