From: Joel de Guzman (joel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-05-10 20:20:16

Giovanni P. Deretta wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> Eric Niebler wrote:
> > [...]
>> My proposal is to make Fusion algorithms hierarchical, so they can work
>> efficiently with segmented data structures. Rather that using Matt
>> Austern's formulation, I've come up with a much simpler interface based
>> not on segmented iterators, but rather on segmented sequences.
>
> What's wrong with Austern's interface? I've both implemented and used it
> and found it both simple and powerful. Then again I didn't deal with
> anything the complexity of fusion.

There's nothing wrong with Austern's interface. It's just that Eric
took advantage of 1) the heterogeneous nature of sequences and 2)
the way Fusion uses lazy views which are essentially segmented to
begin with. Hence, with 1 and 2 to our advantage, the interface
and implementation was significantly simplified. I have a hunch that
Fusion can simplify non-fusion segmented mechanisms as well
(matrices?, arrays?), but I'll leave it at that for now.

Regards,

--
Joel de Guzman
http://www.boost-consulting.com