From: Thorsten Ottosen (thorsten.ottosen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-05-11 14:14:08

Beman Dawes wrote:

> A draft proposal is available at
> http://mysite.verizon.net/beman/release_overview.html.
>
> I've put a fair amount of thought into this proposal, and have run some
> Subversion simulations to make sure it works smoothly.

I like it for the most. A thing that is missing is how to
break the stable version when you do want to break it.

For example, often when libararies are redesigned, they give up
some compilers (Eg. spirit). Sometimes porting can really make a
developer feel worn-out.

As a concrete example, what happens when I commit the new version of the
range library. Can I simply mark some of the compilers as not supported
to get it into the stable-branch, or do I have to wait forever to get it
from trunk to stable?

Also, what happens if several libraries depend on your library in trunk,
but can't work with the dependency found in stable? But the version in
trunk is not ready to go to stable and so this will stall all libraries
that depend on that library?

-Thorsten