From: Rene Rivera (grafik.list_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-05-14 20:45:40
The review of the pimpl_ptr library by Asger Mangaard starts today,
Monday May 15th, 2006, and runs through May 25th, 2006. (Boost Reviews
RSS feed <http://tinyurl.com/ogpj6>)
:Author: Asger Mangaard
Boost Sandbox (http://boost-consulting.com/vault/) as "pimpl_ptr.zip".
Direct download at <http://tinyurl.com/m66ox>.
The pimpl idiom is widely used to reduce compile times and disable code
coupling. It does so by moving private parts of a class from the .hpp
file to the .cpp file. However, it's implementation can be tricky, and
with many pitfalls (especially regarding memory management). The
pimpl_ptr library is a single header file, implementing a special policy
based smart pointer to greatly ease the implementation of the pimpl idiom.
Please always explicitly state in your review, whether you think the
library should be accepted into Boost.
You might want to comment on the following questions:
- What is your evaluation of the design?
- What is your evaluation of the implementation?
- What is your evaluation of the documentation?
- What is your evaluation of the potential usefulness of the library?
- Did you try to use the library? With what compiler?
Did you have any problems?
- How much effort did you put into your evaluation? A glance? A
quick reading? In-depth study?
- Are you knowledgeable about the problem domain?
-- -- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything -- Redshift Software, Inc. - http://redshift-software.com -- rrivera/acm.org - grafik/redshift-software.com -- 102708583/icq - grafikrobot/aim - grafikrobot/yahoo
Boost list run by bdawes at acm.org, gregod at cs.rpi.edu, cpdaniel at pacbell.net, john at johnmaddock.co.uk