From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-05-15 11:10:24

Carlo Wood wrote:
> On Sun, May 14, 2006 at 05:09:28PM +0200, Silex wrote:
>> Would boost be interested by including this class in boost::timer ?
>
> Even more so when it had microsecond precision.
>
>> I'm all ear for your suggestions / bugs / whatever fits it :)
>
> It would be better when the object itself can be handled as variable
> (independent of it's internal structure).
>
> For that to work best, there shouldn't be any 'double's in the
> internal structure. Two int's, one for seconds and one for microseconds,
> would be best, imho. There could be an accessor to get a rounded
> double in seconds, ie 'rseconds()' (I'd reserve 'seconds()' for
> returning the integer number of seconds.

I agree with this and it's been discussed before. Note I haven't looked
at the new proposals, and can't till later, but I would like everyone
interested in this topic to please look at:

http://www.crystalclearsoftware.com/cgi-bin/boost_wiki/wiki.pl?GDTL/Timer

This is a proposal for the current timer to be replaced with a core
template that can use date_time types (including the microsecond clock
type) and time durations. Please edit and update this page with
additional thoughts.

Thx,

Jeff