From: Roland Schwarz (roland.schwarz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-05-16 17:37:38

Peter Dimov wrote:
> We need a monotonic time for condition::wait. It may not be high resolution
> (depending on your definition of high), it just needs to work reliably,
> which the current xtime implementation does not.

Perhaps I am misunderstandig you, but how would a separate
implementation of "monotonic time" help with condition::wait ?

The key issue of (I assume you mean) timed_wait is, that the scheduler
wakes up the thread in question. So no provision of any means capable of
measuring time differences would be of help here. Any implementation
will need to rely on the underlying threading API's notion of
timed_wait, be it pthread_cond_timedwait or WaitForMultipleObject's
timeout parameter.

What do you think are xtime's pitfalls in this respect?

Roland