From: Slava, Alex (raf.devel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-05-23 02:15:59

On 5/22/06, Tomas Puverle <Tomas.Puverle_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > * Large file support - A practical approach to this would be to limit the
> > support to 64-bit systems, which are starting to be very common and in which
> > you don't have mmap issues. Would this be a good idea ?
>
> There are filesystems out there that support 128 bits for file sizes. So I
> think there needs to be a more general solution.

We think that large file implementation is required and it will be provided.
"Large" will be different for different OSes. Now for Windows systems
"Large" will start after 2GB, Linux by default allows just 1GB for a
process user space, so the bound in less then 1GB, SunOS in 64-bit
mode allows (according to manual, not tested) to mmap file of size up
to 2^64 bytes.

If OS provides necessary API to 128-bit file system the corresonding
implementation of RAF may be developed.

--
Svyatoslav Trukhanov,
Oleksii Ursulenko