From: Maarten Kronenburg (M.Kronenburg_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-05-25 10:38:03

"Paul A Bristow" <pbristow_at_[hidden]> wrote in message

> [...]

Thanks for your comments.
I like the name get_sign more,
just like for example get_time.
Where did you find sign_bit?

> 2 If you have to write is_zero() instead of == 0, will this make
templated
> code difficult?

The == 0 notation is always allowed, also in templates,
but it is a little slower than is_zero().
The == 0 generates a temporary integer with value zero,
by implicit converting constructor.
But in templates that also should work for template type
parameter int, the == 0 indeed must be used.

> 3 Is there a reason for starting with integer rather than unsigned
integer
> (which sounds simpler). Will deriving unsigned integer from (signed)
integer
> be less efficient that vice versa?

The unsigned integer is not simpler but
more difficult than the integer, because
the unsigned integer must do checks if
an addition or subtraction result is
negative.
So for unsigned integer a simple -- can
generate an exception.

> 4
>
> 2.3.1 Rationale
>
> The destructor is virtual so that derivation of class integer is possible.
>
> Should 'of' be 'from'?

Yes you are right, I will correct this.

> 5 Is there a reason why
>
> const integer x( "0x12345678901ABCDEF" ); is not implemented?
>
> when istream hex input is?

Yes you are right.
The base for the streams is controlled with the
basefield flag, but for the constructor from string
one can check if it begins with "0" or "0x" or "0X"
and set the base to 8 or 16 accordingly.
I will add this to the constructor from string and char *.