From: Maarten Kronenburg (M.Kronenburg_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-03 08:54:53

The assertion for unsigned_integer
is an interesting possibility.
In "C++ in a nutshell" I read:
"If the expression evaluates to 0,
assert prints a message to the standard
error file and calls abort."
Personally I would rather throw an
exception, so that the user can determine
what should happen if an unsigned_integer
becomes negative.
I see it as equivalent to taking the square root
of a negative number.
Whether the unsigned_integer should
do an assertion or an exception is not part
of the interface. But this is also true for
taking a negative square root.
In the document I will present both possibilities,
assertion and exception, and give a few pros and cons.
Regards, Maarten.