From: Andy Little (andy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-07 16:47:37

"David Greene" <greened_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> Gerhard Wesp wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 09:06:48PM -0400, David A. Greene wrote:
>>
>>>confusing to me. Why does mass default to kg rather than g? If these
>>
>> Because kg is the SI unit for mass. It is a Good Thing that mass
>> defaults to kg rather than g.
>
> That doesn't answer my question.
>
> Why?
>
> I don't see why kg as the "SI unit for mass" requires all this
> prefix_offset stuff. You'd just use pqs::mass:kg, right?

grammes and milligrammes are common units too. The output of socalled coherent
quatities is automated so that its not necessary to customise each units ouput.
The prefix_offset is necessary to stick the correct prefix on, usually for mass,
but also for anything that starts with mass, like 'mass_flow'.

Yes its tricky to explain. Hopefully as a user you dont notice all that stuff.
It just works!. Clever libary author has hidden it all away ;-)

regards
Andy Little