From: David Greene (greened_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-07 17:22:40

Andy Little wrote:

> The use of dots and signs is again based on the SI. See for example section
> 6.1.6 in the 'Guide for the use of the International System of Units'.
> The +ve sign is redundant but I liked the symmetry and it felt better that
> leaving it out. and IMO underbars are overused in C++ already.

Here's an example of where a rigid specification (SI) is degrading the
user experience. Picking an output format just because the SI says
it is the one to use is a mistake. If the Boost community decides it's
the right format, then it's the right format. But to preclude changes
because it may contradict the formal SI standard seems shortsighted.

I don't mind the dots. I could live with "*" as well. But I really
don't like "+." I also tend to interpret it as signifying addition,
not a sign value on an exponent. Using ^ or ** would help with that.

                         -Dave