From: Michael Fawcett (michael.fawcett_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-08 13:29:09

On 6/8/06, Andy Little <andy_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Hi Michael,

This was a private e-mail discussion but Andy thought it important to
be bruoght up on the list. FWIW, my own current
matrix/vector/quaternion code does what you are asking for (with
boost's help), but I had been looking at changing all my stuff over to
uBLAS/quaternion for some time. As an example:

blas::vec3<float> a(1, 0, 0);
blas::vec3<double> b(0, 1, 0);
blas::vec3<double> result = cross_product(a, b); // returns vec3<double>!

I accomplished this using what I think never became a boost library
(from the sandbox maybe? Did MPL::transform consume this
functionality?) result_of which was used something like:

template <typename LHS, typename RHS>
typename boost::result_of_plus<LHS, RHS>::type
        operator +(const LHS &lhs, const RHS &rhs)
{
        typename boost::result_of_plus<LHS, RHS>::type nrv(lhs);
        nrv += rhs;
        return nrv;
}

I would hope some solution could be found where you didn't have to
implement all new matrix/vector/quaternion classes and their
corresponding functionality, rather, just ensure the return type from
the operation follows normal promotion rules (this is actually what I
thought the promotion traits library was going to do).

--Michael Fawcett