From: Leland Brown (lelandbrown_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-09 20:31:40

Janek Kozicki <janek_listy <at> wp.pl> writes:

> Leland Brown said: (by the date of Fri, 9 Jun 2006 04:31:28 +0000 (UTC))
>
> > Actually, yes! In fact, I played around quite a bit with allowing my
matrix
> > elements to be matrices themselves, and even implemented some of it.
>
> wouldn't it be tensors, then?

They act like partitioned matrices. The elements are submatrices of the larger
matrix. The same results can be obtained by putting all the individual scalar
elements into one big matrix, so there's not really any new functionality with
this, just notational convenience for some problems.

Tensors are a bit over my head, but I assume their semantics are different than
simply a partitioned matrix. I don't think what I implemented would produce
tensor algebra.

-- Leland