From: Darren Cook (darren_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-12 18:23:44

>>> E. Is the documentation good enough for a boost library?
> ... If we leave the quality of our
> documentation (or code, for that matter) up to people who rewrite it
> for us, we won't have much quality at all. IMO the library author
> has to be willing to take responsibility for making the docs work; any
> help from the outside is a bonus.

It may be worth distinguishing between reference docs and tutorial docs.

I agree that the library authors have to be responsible for the former
(which judging by the subject of this thread is what we are talking about).

But many times the tutorial documentation is better written by someone
else, someone who can see the wood not the trees.

Incidentally when I'm in the early stages of evaluating a library the
existence of more than one "how-to" article, and articles written by
project outsiders, are more important than just about anything else.
Reference docs are useful but less important as I can always look at the
source if I really need to understand something.

Darren