From: Dean Michael Berris (mikhailberis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-13 14:33:31

On 6/12/06, Carlo Wood <carlo_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> I've written something simular as is current talked about in
> the thread 'Interest in a runtime dynamic dispatch library', but
> since the callbacks are called when some event occurs, I call
> them 'event servers'. I suppose that might include a 'dispatcher',
> but I wouldn't have a clu which part ;). And to be honest, I can't
> think of much that makes this useful without the whole thing.
>
> The concept of my 'event servers' is the following:
>
> The user declares(/derives) a class which represents an 'event server'.
> Each event server services events of a certain 'type'.
> In particular, the type of the data that is returned as parameter
> of the callback function is fixed per event server (though totally
> arbitrary per event server class). I call this 'the event type'.
>
> [...]

I've also uploaded something very similar to the Boost Vault -- I
called it a Listener library where there's a base Listener class,
which specific listeners had to derive from. The base class then was
in charge of registering the listener to a router, which did the
message routing magic.

I don't think the listener implementation will fit in a "library"
because it's more a framework than anything. Although that's one way
of achieving the functionality that the runtime dynamic dispatcher
provides.

The "dispatcher" really is more a "router" than anything, in that the
message that occurred defines which handler to call/invoke and even
route the message to.

--
Dean Michael C. Berris
C/C++ Software Architect