From: Janek Kozicki (janek_listy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-13 17:39:57

Andy Little said: (by the date of Tue, 13 Jun 2006 00:59:11 +0100)

> t1_quantity type in PQS is overcomplicated. Two decisions complicated the design
> of t1_quantity. The first was the requirement to distinguish dimensionally
> equivalent quantities (torque and energy say).

IMHO this distinguish is not that important. We only need units so that
compiler will check if there is any mistake in the formulas...

Difference between torque and energy happens only during serialization
(print N*m, or print J ?), so maybe instead of complicated
abstract_quantity_id, there should be just some extra argument/setting
that will talk with serialization functions?

Maybe this will make the design a bit leaner.

> The second was the use of
> rational rather than integer powers of dimension.

someone suggested using integer powers with twice the value of the
represented power. That will allow to have one fractional power: an sqrt
of dimension. Maybe that will solve this?

Anyone has seen in work a fractional power of unit, different than square root?