From: Leland Brown (lelandbrown_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-18 22:12:02

--- Andy Little <andy_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> Regarding the geometry end, it seems to me
> that the geometry doesnt
> need to be tied to the particular pqs type. Using
> Boost.Typeof it should be
> possible to implement geometric entities that will
> work with the types in pqs or
> others if written in terms of Concepts.

I think this is an excellent idea! Now that I think
about it, with Boost.Typeof a linear algebra library
could be written that's compatible with strongly typed
quantities of any kind, including PQS, but completely
independent of PQS. You can leave that work to others
who are experts in that area, and concentrate on just
the dimensional analysis for individual quantities.

> I reckon that my best bet is to try to
> implement vectors, quaternions and matrices in the
> absolute simplest way
> possible within PQS
> [...]
> I currently view
> the work more as an
> experiment to start to answer the question. What
> happens if we try to implement
> geometry on strongly typed quantities?

Sounds like a worthwhile experiment. A simple set of
operations you could start with might be:

    vector dot product
    matrix multiplied by vector
    matrix multiplied by matrix
    addition/subtraction

These are all straightforward to implement for vectors
of any size and would provide enough functionality to
test the concept.

BTW, Andy, thank you for all the work you've done on
PQS and for your persistence in it, even with so many
criticisms and suggestions. I think it could turn
out to be a really valuable library.

-- Leland