From: John Phillips (phillips_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-20 13:01:30

Leland Brown wrote:

> --- Janek Kozicki <janek_listy_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>

>>I currently see three decupled
>>libraries emerging from all of this:
>>
>>1. Dimensions (idea from Oleg Abrosimov) to decuple
>>this
>

> <snip>
>
>>2. Units (with example implemetation of some
>>particular system - eg. SI ;)
>>
>>3. vector/matrix/quaternion with support for units
>

> I agree - this is a great way to divide up the parts
> of the library, and hopefully these can be largely
> independent yet work together.
>
> -- Leland

   I think we should try to stay out of the business of making a linear
algebra system (or a tensor algebra system, either, for that matter) on
this project. Careful though should be given to the interaction between
the units system and popular algorithms for doing algebraic
manipulations, but that should be the extent of it for now. Otherwise,
we have a small and probably otherwise busy group of people trying to do
a collection of very large jobs all at once. This doesn't strike me as a
recipe for success.

                        John Phillips