From: Stefan van den Oord (stefan.vandenoord_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-26 04:22:46

As a matter of fact, I already ran into other issues with that
solution I suggested.

I didn't really give this much thought yet, but would it be an idea to
pass the size of the type to save_impl, just as you do to load_impl,
and then use that real size instead of a computed size? That way, the
numbers take up the same number of bytes in the archive as they do in
memory, but that seems more than acceptable. I also think it's a
compatible change, because existing archives have the sizes stored in
the archive. On re-save, the archive would of course change, but
that's ok.

Left-filling is something that crossed my mind as well, but it seems
like going through a lot of trouble to save a few bytes. (Is 0xff the
only problematic value?)

I don't have a strong opinion about this, and it's not my speciality.
I'll accept any solution you come up with :)

Stefan