From: Fernando Cacciola (fernando_cacciola_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-27 07:54:25

Rene Rivera wrote:
> Fernando Cacciola wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I must be doing something wrong or I'm expecting something I shouldn't:
>>
>>(1) I updated from the trunk (HEAD)
>>(2) Fixed a couple of things
>>(3) Commited to the trunk
>>(4) Updated from RC_1_34 (over the same working folder)
>>(5) Merged "merged_from_RC_1_34" and "HEAD" into working folder.
>>
>>For step 5 I'm using ToroiseCVS 1.8.26 using the merge dialog as follow:
>>
>>Start: merged_from_RC_1_34
>>End: HEAD
>>
>>After that I get lots of updated, and even conflicted, files, way beside
>>those which are mine.
>>
>>Is that expected? I figured I would get only my files merged.
>

> It's only expected if you merge anything more that just your files.

Hmmm, yes, of course, but I would have sweared I never had to merge only
my files before.
Maybe I was just lucky and did the changes in a moment no one else was
doing it.

>>If it is, is it OK to just commit my files and not the others?
>

> I wouldn't risk it as errors in those other files might mask real
> problems in your code, or the interaction of your code with others, etc.
>
> I would suggest going back and doing the merge only with the files you
> changed.

Right, I screw up with the global merge so I'll just go back and do it
again properly.

>>What about the tag?
>

> You only move the tag for the files you merged.

OK.

Btw, I usually use WinCVS, but I installed the latest version and I
couldn't get it to use PLink (it looks for 'ssh' which I haven't).
The "General" tabs in the Admin dialog box is missing, replaced by
a notification that now you just have to set the environment variable
CVSROOT. That's fine, but in that tab I used to define the ssh client,
so I'm lost now.

Now I used TortoiseCVS instead, but then, how do I get a list of
all the files *I* changed (besides manually of course), anyone?

Best

Fernando Cacciola