From: Reece Dunn (msclrhd_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-28 03:54:06

Andy Little wrote:
> "David Abrahams" wrote
> > "Andy Little"writes:
> >
> >> Whenever I invoke bjam I get this first:
> >>
> >> warning: Python location is not configured
> >> warning: the Boost.Python library won't be built
> >> Building Boost.Regex with the optional Unicode/ICU support disabled.
> >> Please refer to the Boost.Regex documentation for more information
> >> (and if you don't know what ICU is then you probably don't need it).
> >>
> >> Thanks Bjam. You know what? I really don't care!
> >
> > Got anything constructive to say about it?
>
> Nope. Just more ranting I'm afraid...
>
> The fact is that all my tests and examples seem to build fine without me having
> done anything about configuring Python or Regex, so these messages are
> completely bogus AFAICS. What purpose do they serve?

What you may not realise is that Boost.IOStreams will generate warnings about
mizzing ZLib and BZip2 libraries. However, for these you need to say:

   bjam --v2 --debug-configuration

It would make sense to do the same for the Python and RegEx libraries. That
way, if you run into build/configuration problems, you will be warned about the
missing libraries and if you don't care (like Andy :)), then you won't see anything.
It will also make things cleaner.

That way, everyone is happy :).

- Reece
Try Live.com - your fast, personalized homepage with all the things you care about in one place.
http://www.live.com/getstarted