From: Daniel James (daniel_james_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-07-02 17:08:16

Jeff Garland wrote:
> Daniel James wrote:
>> Not really, it's only concerned with providing an implementation
>> std::tr1::hash - ie. for TR1 style unordered associative containers.
>> Which is why it's officially called 'Boost.Functional/Hash', although I
>> know that name's unpopular - 'TR1 Hash' might be better.
>
> Yeah, I don't see what functional has to do with it...

Well, Boost.Functional is concerned with enhancing the functional header
and TR1 hash lives in the functional header. Although I suppose it has a
few other boost libraries for neighbours there. Also, it perhaps doesn't
deserve a place at the 'top level' as for most people it's just an
implementation detail.

I'm not that bothered about the name, I don't think it was my idea. But
I'd like to put of any reorganisation until after the migration to
subversion - just so I can track renames.

> Perhaps. Largely the intent of my email was partially to encourage folks to
> think about working with Sean et. al. on synergy with other Boost libraries.
> In this case, maybe it's in name only...

Sorry if I sounded negative. I think it would be great to have an SHA
and MD5 library in Boost, But right now, I haven't got the energy to get
much done.

Daniel