From: Paul A Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-07-05 10:12:10

I disagree - I think the docs ARE a problem.

| > I don't really have a problem with the documentation. I
| think each of the various docs are good by themselves.
|
| > template <class OutputIterator, class
| BidirectionalIterator, class traits, class charT>
| > OutputIterator regex_replace(OutputIterator out,
| > BidirectionalIterator first,
| > BidirectionalIterator last,
| > const basic_regex<charT, traits>& e,
| > const basic_string<charT>& fmt,
| > match_flag_type flags = match_default);
| >
| > template <class traits, class charT>
| > basic_string<charT> regex_replace(const basic_string<charT>& s,
| > const basic_regex<charT, traits>& e,
| > const basic_string<charT>& fmt,
| > match_flag_type flags = match_default);
| >

| > My first reaction when I read this is, wow, interesting,
| but how do I use it?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who goes gulp (and sometimes giver-up).

There is just too much class clutter to see the wood from the trees.

| That's the job of a toturial.

I disagree - I think that somehow the USER needs the EXAMPLES right
side-by-side with the reference info.

One might crack this problem more than one way, for example by hyper-links
to AND FROM the example/tutorial and reference info.

With paper, this seems to me to lead to having both the reference book and
the tutorial/example book open at the same time. Good for book
sales/authors ;-)

(I think that this is a problem with the whole of the STL. It is very
powerful, but it isn't obvious HOW to use it, and often can turn out to be
rather subtle.)

Overall, I have the impression that Jeff is on the right track.

Paul

---
Paul A Bristow
+44 1539561830 & SMS, Mobile +44 7714 330204 & SMS
pbristow_at_[hidden]