From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-07-05 18:20:51

Thorsten Ottosen wrote:

> If you not willing to accept that value-based programming and OO
> programming are different disciplines, we will never agree on this
> one. Period.

Entity/identity-based and value-based are different, no question. What is
controversial is your claim that the mere presence of a virtual function by
necessity implies that the identity of the object is important (as opposed
to its value).

To give an example, in the texbook OO hierarchy Shape -> Circle, Square, ...
the identities of the objects play no role, they are pure values. You can
copy a collection of shapes and you'll have a perfect replica of the
original.