From: Joel de Guzman (joel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-07-05 21:42:58

Sebastian Redl wrote:
> Gennaro Prota wrote:
>
>> What I was hinting at is that not all languages have
>> "uppercase" and/or "lowercase". And in those that have there's no
>> guarantee of one-to-one mapping, so that to_lower or to_upper aren't
>> in general invertible functions, or even left-invertible functions.
>>

> Or even possible functions: to_upper applied to the single German
> character ß ("sharp s") should yield "SS" ("SZ" a few decades ago) - an
> impossibility for the current interface.

Right! All the more reason to go for the functional non-mutating
approach. In many (most?) cases, you'll end up with a new transformed
string. In-situ conversions/transformations seem to be less common
in reality, especially when dealing with different encodings and
different string types.

Regards,

--
Joel de Guzman