From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-07-06 00:58:38

Thorsten Ottosen <thorsten.ottosen_at_[hidden]> writes:

>> and it doesn't require the user to learn additional container
>> types. To me it seems win-win for almost all uses, having very few
>> down-sides.
>
> If you not willing to accept that value-based programming and OO
> programming are different disciplines, we will never agree on this
> one. Period.

An absolutist perspective can be useful for establishing programming
discipline when we're still sharpening our basic skills, but it rarely
serves to make better programmers in the long run. Yes, OO
programming and value-based programming have differences, but they are
not totally distinct: they both overlap and synergize, and the
intersection is commonly used, interesting and valuable.

Stuff like http://www.gotw.ca/gotw/062.htm doesn't appear out of thin
air; people get interested in these patterns because they are useful
in solving real problems.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting