From: Martin Bonner (martin.bonner_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-07-06 06:05:32

Just one comment:

From: Sean Parent
> Consider -
>
> to_lower(first, last, output)

How do you handle that with just a forward iterator? You need to read a whole word before you can decide whether "SS" should be "ß" or "ss" in the output. (I suppose you could read the word into an internal buffer - but that seems extreme).

> such transformations can work with any encoding (you can uppercase
> UTF-8 into UTF-32). They can't work in-situ (but I don't think
> to_upper or to_lower really can work in-situ - certainly not in UTF-8
> and probably not in UTF-16, and I believe there are some multi-
> character forms that even break in UTF-32...).

It is ß -> SS that break in-situ conversion!

--
Martin Bonner
Martin.Bonner_at_[hidden]