From: Gennaro Prota (gennaro_prota_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-07-06 08:44:02

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 14:27:57 +0300, "Peter Dimov" <pdimov_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

>I know. Is this a real problem?

Well, doesn't seem false to me :)

>Are you sure that making BOOST_ASSERT fail
>when assert works a good idea?

It happens to work, and relies on undefined behavior. I think it's a
good idea to catch that.

> It will just encourage people to not use it.
>Not that they need much encouragement. Almost everyone ignores BOOST_ASSERT
>(and the users' requests to please not do so).

I'll assume you mean "not to ignore". Well, all I can promise is that
I'll change all asserts in dynamic_bitset to BOOST_ASSERT. I can't do
more, sorry.

While we are at it, I've never liked too much the idea to switch off
(or on) all asserts from any boost library. I would often desire a
higher degree of control; one thing I can imagine is passing type
information to assertion_failed(), so that I can see what library the
assert is coming from and decide what to do with that.

--
[ Gennaro Prota, C++ developer for hire ]
[    resume:  available on request      ]