From: Daryle Walker (darylew_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-07-08 18:33:19

On 6/27/06 12:40 PM, "David Abrahams" <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:

[SNIP]

[GUI programs of CLI tools act wonky in passing information either way
between the GUI and CLI layers because of problems in model mismatch or
screen scraping....]
> IMO this is one of the reasons that Linux has such a hard time
> approaching real joe-nonhacker-friendliness. The answer, of course,
> is to have the command-line tools and the GUIs use libraries with
> strongly-typed interfaces and well-defined exceptions. But who has
> time for that? :)
[TRUNCATE]

The Subversion SCM system is modeled like this, at least the library
interface part. (I don't know if it uses exceptions.) The CLI version of
the SVN client simply calls the SVN libraries. If a GUI program decides to
screen-scrape the CLI tool instead of using the libraries, it's probably
doing something wrong.

--
Daryle Walker
Mac, Internet, and Video Game Junkie