From: Daryle Walker (darylew_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-07-09 06:53:13

On 7/6/06 11:10 AM, "Jody Hagins" <jody-boost-011304_at_[hidden]> wrote:

[SNIP]
> Anytime an interface attempts to do "too much" you are asking for
> trouble. Restrict the job that an interface is trying to do, but allow
> flexible ways to accomplish that job.
>
> Hmmm. Maybe now I'm clear as mud...

I understand. I even have an example from the standard. The stringstream
classes are supposed to be the new way to handle in-memory streams. They
are supposed to replace the now-depreciated strstream. However, the old
class has three mutually-exclusive modes of operation, but the new class
only replaces the most(?) common case, a dynamically-allocated buffer.
There currently isn't an updated replacement for the static buffer or static
constant buffer modes. The problem was in strstream being overloaded with
three classes' worth of interface.

(That reminds me, I [or someone else] has to propose the two replacement
class template sets for the next TR/Standard cycle.)

--
Daryle Walker
Mac, Internet, and Video Game Junkie