From: JOAQUIN LOPEZ MU?Z (joaquin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-07-14 13:19:13

Hello,

Given that the response to my initial prompt for
interest in a flyweight library was encouraging,
I've worked a little more in it to the point that I
can show now a pretty functional lib along with
some docs. Please download at Vault/Patterns:

http://tinyurl.com/f7fum

The draft contains:

* 90% of my initially intended functionality (it
lacks serialization support and other, accessory
extensions).
* A more or less developed tutorial introducing the
lib and its main design concepts.
* A very interesting (IMHO) component called
intermodule_holder which allows you to define
flyweight types working across different dynamic
modules of the same program. Without this component,
dynamic linking induces fatal duplicates of some
internal static objects. intermodule_holder has been
developed with the invaluable help of
Boost.Interprocess and I've only tested it in CW 8.3
for Windows. As B.IP has been added to the CVS only
recently, it is likely that problems arise till the
library stabilizes. Kudos to Ion for the terrific
library.

I've tested it in CW 8.3 an GCC 3.2, should compile
in any decent compiler modulo minor glitches I'd
welcome being reported about.

I'd be extremely grateful if you can download the
stuff, give it a try/read and report about it.
It is at design stage that your opinions are most
valuable, so please do share them! Points
I'm particularly interested in:

* Do you deem the lib worth eventually proposing
to Boost?
* Do you like the usage interface?
* Are you OK with the design concepts, in
particular with the concepts around factories
and holders?
* Have you been able to use it?
* Have you been able to use it in a demanding
envrionment? Having performance figures would
be terrific.
* Improvements/extensions?

Sorry for the long post, eagerly looking fwd to
getting your feedback,

Joaquín M López Muñoz
Telefónica, Investigación y Desarrollo