From: Daryle Walker (darylew_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-07-24 03:44:10

[Rene wrote:]
[I wrote:]
>>> Not strictly true. It keeps track of deletes and adds. The moves/renames
>>> are implemented in terms of those which means that getting the history
>>> of files in place is not possible. (Last I checked)
>>>
>> In subversion, moves are a copy, followed by the deletion of the
>> original; the copy is history-preserving.
>
> Somewhat, just tried the basic experiment again...
>
> The history that the file was copied from another version is kept. But
> viewing the history before the move is not possible without looking up
> the previous files history which is really hard as the file is now deleted.

My language was ambiguous there, but my point wasn't that the accuracy of
move wasn't perfect, it was that Subversion can handle them better than CVS.
CVS can't handle file moves at all. CVS can't handle any type of directory
versioning; directories are treated as eternal containers. Messing around
with file moves or directory anything in CVS involves ignorant moving of the
administration directories/files, leaving CVS to not acknowledge the move
and think the new location was always the location.

--
Daryle Walker
Mac, Internet, and Video Game Junkie