From: Cromwell Enage (sponage_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-07-24 15:00:18

--- Arash Partow wrote:
> Hi all,

Hello, Arash.

I'd be more interested in *using* a geometry library
than in developing one, so any feedback I provide in
this regard would likely come from an interface point
of view.

> As for a preliminary library design I propose the
> following:
>
> * primitive geometric structures 2D/3D only
> (point,line,segment,triangle...)
> * operations between primitives (intersection,
> distance, inclusion...)
> * higher level algorithms in a structured fashion
> similar to BGL:
> * hulls, rotating caliper
> * triangulation (point sets, polygons)
> * boolean operations over polygons

One of the great bugbears I have with today's
implementations of geometric primitives is the lack of
a common interface between all of them. Take a point,
for instance: should I access its coordinates using
the public members x, y, and z? Or is that X, Y, and
Z (capitalized)? Are they actually member functions
instead of data? How about the subscript operator
([0], [1], and [2])? (Personally, I'd go with this
one, since that is what the BGL and uBLAS algorithms
are currently used to, and a point can be extended to
have more than three dimensions if need be. But if
you want interoperability with some of the other
geometric libraries, you'll have to deal with their
interfaces as well.)

Looking forward to seeing your work.

                              Cromwell D. Enage