From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-07-24 21:04:51

"Jeff Garland" <jeff_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> Gennaro Prota wrote:

>> About the name, isn't "identifier" meant as "something which gives an
>> identity" rather than as "C++ grammar identifier"?
>
> I guess my issue is that identifier normally means the name of a type
> instance....so that's a point of confusion for me at least.

I think of identifier mostly in database terms. For example, in the
geographic applications I do, there are types CountryId, PostalCodeId,
StateId, CountyId, LocalityId, NeighborhoodId, StreetId, StreetNameId, etc,
etc. It is very easy to mix them up, so having separate types lets the
compiler detect these mixups.

That isn't to say a better name can't be found. I just haven't heard one yet
that I like better.

--Beman