From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-07-25 06:04:01

"David Bergman" <David.Bergman_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> As I mentioned yesterday, I happened to stay up for a few hours and create
> two related proposals, after being inspired by Beman's 'identifier'
> suggestion (as part of his quite useful 'system-0.2' proposal.)
>
> I saw - as some people here, including Beman - a potentially wider scope
> for
> such embeddings that quite integer-centric "database key" types.

While integers are often used as the underlying type, any type that meets a
few common requirements (CopyConstructible, etc.) can be used. One of my
test cases uses std::string.

I'm on a road-trip so may not get a chance to look at your stuff for a few
days. One thing I'll look at then is to compare several common uses of
identifier against your proposal to see if the added generality gets in the
way of simple use cases. The other question is how important/useful are the
other possible uses of your proposal that go beyond identifier.

Cheers,

--Beman