From: Gennaro Prota (gennaro_prota_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-07-25 20:31:56

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 12:42:05 -0300, Fernando Cacciola
<fernando_cacciola_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>> Fernando,
>> can we also decide if this is some useful toy we want to share with
>> the lib world or an implementation detail?
>>
>I don't have a strong opinion or problem with regarding this as an
>implementation detail, but I do need to find a nice solution, like the
>one Anthony just proposed.

Fine.

>[...]
>Anyway, I think none is useful outside optional<>, specifically, for
>variant<>, tuple<> and even any.

Please don't take this as obstructionism, but I just don't know.
Really.

>I take you disagree. Can you explain why?

Even if it happens to be shared between three or four libraries it
still doesn't belong to the root dir just for that. You could probably
agree to have it in detail/, but that's going to give problems in the
long run in my opinion, probably mitigated if you insert a big comment
along the lines of "Caution: this component is shared between x, y and
z and shall keep the following behavior and interface. Only apply
workarounds if they are needed for all of x, y and z, etc.". I'd
suggest discussing that with the authors of the libraries you want to
share it with. If you all agree that the benefits outweigh the cost I
don't have strong objections (not that I don't have ;-))

Well, not sure I was clear enough, as it's a bit late and I spent all
my energies today, so don't hesitate to ask again if you feel so.

--
[ Gennaro Prota, C++ developer for hire ]